Job posting: Senior Campaigner - Social Media
SummaryWe’re looking for a creative campaigner with a passion for making your community better, and skilled at creating engaging social media campaigns and content. If you can deliver complex information in simple and persuasive graphics, and social media copy that can drive awareness and action, we hope you’ll consider joining our team.
Strong relationship skills will also serve you well in our community-driven work, and as our first point of contact for media. You will succeed in this role if keeping up on politics, justice and climate issues is something you already do.
Experience in campaigns, communications planning and strategic framing will be considered assets but are not necessary. We believe in a learning environment, and mentorship will be provided if you want to grow in these areas.
Senior Campaigner - Social Media, reports to the Co-Executive Director and works as part of the Campaigns team.
Location: Preference for the candidate to be based in Toronto or Vancouver, where we have offices, or remotely from Victoria, where we have 2 remote team members. NOTE: our full team continues to work remotely from home in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, until further notice.
Compensation: This is a full-time position, 40 hours/wk with an annual salary ranging $47,740 - $50,800, depending on experience; plus extended benefits provided upon successful completion of 3 month probation period.
Role DescriptionWe run multi-issue campaigns that need attention in the day to day. The Senior Campaigner - Social Media leads on overall management of content development and implementation for three social media platforms to support campaigns (ours and often, allies’) as well as our Leadnow story. This involves generating content daily, at times in collaboration with other campaigners, and often independently. This occasionally includes digital ad development and management. You’ll also be responsible for planning overarching annual goals and strategies for social media, and track and report out on progress.
As the default point of contact for media, you may lead on occasions where we include earned media in our campaign strategies, drafting press releases and distributing to media contacts. At times, other campaigners may take the lead, requiring only your support.
Occasionally, you will support other forms of media and content, such as basic print ad development, email writing or editing.
Essential Skills for the Role:
- Strategic development of creative social media campaign arcs and original content
- Social media platform management - ability to juggle multiple platforms and set growth goals and strategies to reach them
- Copywriting - ability to craft compelling social media and campaign-related content optimized for viral sharing
- Ability to scan a news cycle and identify flashpoints, and opportune moments to inform content & campaign strategy
- Basic design skills - use of image, space, colour/contrast & text
- Ability to juggle multiple platforms, including audience engagement
- Previous experience OR solid understanding of media relations
- Creative writing skills for media releases
- Strong interpersonal communication skills for collaborative work
Essential Skills for Success with Leadnow:
- Aligned with Leadnow’s mission: winning progressive change through people powered campaigns
- Aligned with working in a pro-active anti-oppression work environment that engages in sometimes tough conversations to build awareness and skills to identify and dismantle structural inequalities within and beyond Leadnow.
- Comfortable taking risks, working in an innovative environment where trying new things is encouraged
- Teamwork: ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with colleagues; open-mindedness and willingness to learn new approaches
- Comfortable working independently given the small size and current remoteness of team
Additional Skills or QualitiesThese aspects are “nice to have” but are not required.
- Past experience with digital campaigning (email, social media, digital ads)
- Understanding of social media analytics and conversion metrics
- Previous experience with earned media and media relations
- Project management experience
- Understanding of Canadian political and parliamentary landscape
- Ability to develop overarching communications strategy, tactics and messaging
- Understanding of the role of brand in an organization and ability to identify risks and opportunities for brand development and reach
To apply: Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com by midnight (end of day), Pacific time on Monday, August 3rd. Please send both as a joint PDF document with your first and last names in the file name.
Selected candidates will be contacted no later than August 7th to arrange next steps. Start date: September 8th, 2020 (or later).
About Leadnow:Leadnow runs campaigns that build and defend a just, sustainable, and equitable Canada. Our power comes from our community. We are independent of party politics and driven by the belief that hope for our future lies with the ability of people to come together in new ways and challenge outdated systems to create a better Canada.
We believe that in order to campaign for a just and equitable country, we need an inclusive and diverse workplace. We’d especially like to encourage Indigenous people, people of colour, women, people identifying as LGBTQ2I, immigrants and people with disabilities to apply. We recognize that this list is neither exhaustive nor representative of the intersectionality present within each individual. Please indicate in your application if you would like to be considered for employment equity.
Why you’ll love working at Leadnow
- A flexible and friendly work environment
- Opportunities for professional development, mentorship, secondments, and networking
- Purposeful work that creates a tangible, measurable difference
- Leadnow is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of their religious affiliation, race, age, sex, sexual orientation or nature of disability