Stop TransCanada's fake grassroots PR Campaign
Last week, leaked documents came to light showing that TransCanada has hired a US-based public relations firm to build a pro-pipeline “activist base” – bought and paid for by Big Oil. It’s a shocking attempt to manipulate Canadians and manufacture support for dirty energy projects. 1 2 3 4
Edelman, the world’s largest PR firm, has developed a plan to build a fake grassroots movement in support of the Energy East pipeline, at a cost of up to $7.75 per “activist” that they recruit to promote TransCanada’s agenda.
They hired US-Based spin master, Mike Krempasky to lead the charge. With close ties to the Koch brothers, he’s already helped out companies like ExxonMobil and Halliburton to oppose climate change legislation and green energy initiatives in Washington — with great success. And now, he’s bringing the same shady tactics north of the border.
The Energy East pipeline would pump 1.1 million barrels of toxic bitumen to the Atlantic coast every single day, where it would be loaded onto supertankers for export. The plan threatens communities and waterways across six provinces and would release 32 million tonnes of global warming pollution every year. 5 6 Opposition to the project has soared, and that’s why TransCanada is spending millions of dollars to try to put a positive spin on it.
Massive tar sands pipelines like Energy East are no longer inevitable. From Enbridge’s Northern Gateway pipeline, to Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain project and TransCanada’s Keystone XL, real citizen-led movements have stalled projects across North America. Communities in Quebec have won an injunction against exploratory drilling for Energy East in the Port of Cacouna, a breeding ground for the endangered St. Lawrence Beluga Whale. 7
By working together we can keep up the pressure.
- Leaked documents show TransCanada planning “dirty tricks” campaign to support Energy East pipeline (Greenpeace) http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/recent/Leaked-documents-show-TransCanada-planning-dirty-tricks-campaign-to-support-Energy-East-pipeline/
- Energy East pipeline ‘advocates’ targeted in TransCanada PR move (CBC) http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/energy-east-pipeline-advocates-targeted-in-transcanada-pr-move-1.2838383
- TransCanada pressuring opponents of Energy East pipeline, documents show (Toronto Star) http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/11/18/transcanada_pressuring_opponents_of_energy_east_pipeline_documents_show.html
- Full Document: TransCanada Energy East Grassroots Advocacy Vision Document (Edelman) https://s3.amazonaws.com/leadnow/transcanada-energy-east-grassroots-advocacy-vision-document.pdf [9MB PDF]
- Former NDP Comms Director Key Strategist on Edelman Energy East Astroturf Strategy http://www.desmog.ca/2014/11/20/former-ndp-comms-director-key-strategist-edelman-energy-east-astroturf-strategy
- Edelman TransCanada Leak: Aggressive PR for Keystone Alternative http://www.prwatch.org/news/2014/11/12676/edelman-transcanada-leak-american-style-pr-plan-prepped-keystone-xl-pipeline
- Quebec halts TransCanada’s exploratory drilling in Cacouna http://business.financialpost.com/2014/09/24/quebec-halts-transcanadas-exploratory-drilling-in-cacouna/